Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Testimony

 HEY!
 
We had a FANTASTIC week! It all ended with Bryce's baptism. He wasn't 9 so it didn't count as a convert baptism, oh well. But our week was incredible! We found 7 more people who are ready for the gospel! We taught 25 lessons as well, it was awesome!
 
Golf today was freaking awesome! Like I told you, the course we go to is a 9 (PAR 33) hole course that if we want we can do it again for 18 (PAR 66). I got a 54 on the first 9 and then a 48 on the second 9, to make 105 for the whole 18!!! Improvement! It just feels great to go out on a nice chilly but sunny morning and play golf. I love it and I can't wait to challange you (dad)...(well I guess I could challange mom, maybe she's playing behind all of our backs) and take you down! I hope I retain my skill when I'm home though. It was a good day though. Yes mom I'm driving carefully... for the most part :) I like trucks... I'm coming to like the Chevy Colorado LT's quite a bit. They're nice. But I do miss the good 'ol stick shift... Anyway!
 
Fairfield feels like a lifetime ago... It doesn't only seem like 4 1/2 months since I was there with Elder Carter.  I don't remember telling you I enjoyed my apartment... it's ugly and gross. They're planning on moving us out here soon though. I love Elder Smithfield... (Elder Gifford). Elder Anderson and I get along very well still, hopefully it continues that way! We have 2 weeks left in the transfer (it went by that fast?!?!?!), and seeing as it's my 3rd transfer here I'm 50-50 on whether I can stay or go. We'll see I suppose! I'm trying not to worry about it, but I have a feeling that I'll leave, mostly because there are so many great things that are about to happen. Next week though, we should have 3 baptisms!!! Isn't that awesome!
 
So, I just want to end my letter with my testimony. It blows my mind everytime I think about how it's grown. I am just truly grateful to be out here today. As I look back on my life and my choices (many of which have been poor) I can see the Lord's hand in preparing me for this day. I go back to Ohio, and being blessed to have had Logan Bird and Ryan Call around to be my example. Although I didn't always follow their example, they set the standard and I secretly wanted to be like them. Then it started when we moved. If we would have stayed in Ohio, I possibly would have strayed down a very long and dark path that I'm not sure I would have recovered from. Moving to Belgium is what set me straight. I still had many struggles and trials, and I still fell to many of the same temptations, but something was different. It may have been the support I had from others of my age in the church, or whatever, but something was different. I had a desire to learn and know for myself of what everyone claimed to be true. I admit I never really felt anything in church or when I read the Book of Mormon or when I prayed, but I have come to the knowledge that I didn't allow myself to. I wasn't open. I didn't have sincerity, intent, and faith. I was going through the motions. Christ cannot change someone who is unwilling. I began to be softened, a big part of it was by your example, both of you. Dad, you were the perfect father anyone could ask for and you were an example of how a priesthood holder should live; mom, you showed me how to live my life right and how I should handle certain situations. Most importantly though, you both loved me for me, despite of my mistakes. You both were there to pick me up when I fell. Then, I began to feel the Spirit. Like Alma teaches us in Alma 32, I exercised a particle of faith and I had a DESIRE to believe. I began to read the Book of Mormon, and I began to pray. My conversion was not something that happened all at once. Looking back, it was a very gradual change. Even when I got to college, I had a testimony, sure, but it wasn't what I wanted it to be yet. I used the newly gained faith that I had developed and inquired of the Lord about a mission, and I received my answer. Here I am today, stronger than I have ever been in my entire life. I can say that I have been truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know, without the slightest shadow of a doubt, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that the Book of Mormon IS another withness of Jesus Christ. God lives, He loves me, He loves all of us despite our weaknesses. I have felt that love over and over again, from reading the scriptures and from your constant support and love that you give me. I am so grateful to be where I am today. Never will I go back to who I was. I will make mistakes, I know, but that is why Christ is there to pick us up when we fall. His hand is always extended towards me, and I have learned that it is up to ME to reach out and grab it. I love this gospel, I love my Savior, and I love you both. Thank you for your example to me. Have a great week! :)
 
Love,
Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment