Monday, April 11, 2011

What the Poison Oak?!!!

Hey Everybody,

So, as the subject suggests...yeah, I have poison oak. That is my highlight of this week. IT SUCKS. Last P-day we hiked to that waterfall and I was Very careful to not get anywhere near the stuff but somehow it's like I rolled around naked in a big bushel of the crap! UGHH IT'S SO ANNOYING! I itch...everywhere. It's gotten better. I called the mission nurse and she hooked me up with some prednisone. I've already gone through 2 bottles of cortisone and I'm in the middle of a bottle of calydryl. Man, it has been a rough week. I haven't had any energy because of the itching and whatnot. I haven't had any motivation either, but I made a point to get out and to work even harder through it. We were blessed because of it and this week we taught 14 or 15 lessons which is more than the past 2 weeks! I also placed another Book of Mormom to some dude in a diffeent area (we were on exchanges). So yeah, you guys know how poison oak/ivy affects me. It isn't a fun experience. This is already the 2nd time on my mission I've gotten the stuff! The first time was pretty mild and it didn't spread. But this time, it has spread like wildfire! I had/have it on both knees, both forearms, both triceps, used to have it on my neck and ear, have it on my hip, my belly, and the other place you don't want to mention. That Monday we were late for an appointment so we didn't have time to shower/change so it just spread. So yeah, rough week. But anyway, investigators...

First off, bad news. Jen and Justin, 2 of our awesome investigators, dropped us. Man, I was so ticked...Jen had some sort of relationship with a member in our ward and they stopped "talking" and no one decided to tell us missionaries. Se we just went over to see how things were because we haven't heard from them in forever and they weren't responding to our calls/texts. We get there and Jens says she's done. She feels too pushed by us and by the churh. She said she wasn't going to come back to church or anything and she didn't want to meet with us anymore. I was very sad. I was so positive that they were going to get baptized. They still can. I think a whole lot of it has to do with the drama with the guy. Jen probably doesn't want to come to church if he is going to be there because that would be awkward for her I'm sure. She doesn't even live in our ward boundaries so we're gonna have the 3rd ward sisters go and see them in a few weeks and hopefully get things sparked up again. But yeah, that was the downfall of our week. Minus 2 investigators.

Now good news, actually FANTASTIC news! Susanne is progressing like crazy! She bought all 3 Book of Mormon help book things. She is reading like crazy, she has a testimony, and she is awesome. We met with her on Tuesday night and invited her to read 3 Nephi 27 (for those of you who don't know, it talks about the doctrine of Christ, mostly baptism) and then when Elder Bacon and Elder Phipps met her on Saturday (I was with Elder Blake in their area for exchanges) Susanne said that she prayed about it and she KNOWS that she needs to get baptized!!!! Every bad thing that has happened thus far in my mission is worth it because of this! To see someone pray and receive an answer - direct revelation - is what it is all about. I was so happy and giddy when I hear about it. She could pretty much be baptized tomorrow. Her only concern is that she drinks coffee, which she already acknowledged that she needs to quit, and that the church will be too much work for her or something like that. She feels she isn't personally worthy. She totally is though. We hooked her up with the Relief Society President and they hit it off and Susanne is coming to a dinner here at the church for the RS and then we are going to a play/musical here at the church with her. It's
The Garden. Ever heard of it? It's going to be SWEET! But yeah, so having Susanne makes everything worth it. Man, I love being a missionary!

We have also been meeting this inactive guy every Sunday afternoon. He isn't physically able to go to church because of surgery. He is a really great guy. When we met with him yesterday, we always ask people if there is anything we can do for them, and he just broke down and started to cry. He has done this a few times in lessons, but this time we didn't even say anything to him. He is a really gentle and sincere guy too. He expressed how grateful he is that we come by and see him every week. Even to just check up on him. That made me feel really good to know that I am helping him in that way. I had no idea that we had that effect on him or that it meant that much to him. We talked a lot about charity at church and we, idk it made me really happy to know that I'm being charitable to him without even knowing it or without knowing how it was affecting him. So that is just a nice side note.

Transfers are in 2 weeks. I'm gonna be ticked if I get sent out to another area...I love this place too much. I love our bishop too, man I can't get enough of him. As for me and Elder Bacon, things have improved greatly. There is still something about him that bugs the crap out of me, but I can't really put my finger on it. But we work decently well together, and that is what matters. The rest I don't really care about. If we can have the Spirit with us and if we can teach with the Spirit then that's all I care about. The Spirit is the one that converts people, not the missionaries.

I hope you have a great week and I'm looking forward to your letters!

Love, Elder Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment