Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Letter

We finally received our first letter from Brennan in the mail yesterday.  Here it is -

"Dearest Mom & Dad,

Well, 1 day down and if feels like I've been here for weeks. Everyone says the time goes by really slow the first few days and then it picks up. We're definitely kept busy! So you're wondering why I'm writing. Well, us newbies get to write home the first or second day to let you know we're alive. So lucky you mom :). Anyway, when I first arrived and was shown my room I didn't have time to do anything. I was immediately taken to the class I'll be in throughout my stay @ the MTC. In my class, which is my district, we have 4 sisters and 6 elders. 4 of us - me, my companion (more later), and 2 sisters are going to the same mission. The others are all going to the Roseville, CA mission. That is literally the next mission east of my mission. Anyway, my companion.... when we got to our class we were given our companion. Mine didn't show up for like 4-6 hours. Thought he got cold feet. But I found him and he's great. Elder Blake from Ironton, OH. He's a great, goofy, serious elder (we were told to stop using the terms "guys," "dude," and anything like that - everyone is now elder or sister). So the rest of the 12th we just learned the ropes and did some teaching to volunteers in the community to act like investigators. They make it feel really real. My mouth gets dry and I trip over my words a bit. Elder Blake has told me that I'm a natural though. He's had nothing but positive criticism. He's a really laid back elder. He is a good teacher as well. He really knows how to teach with sincerity. So today I DID wake up at 6:15 a.m. Yes, hard to believe. We are supposed to be on our feet and moving @ 6:30 so I need to wake up early for shower. Then we've spent a lot of time with personal study, companion study and MDT (Missionary Directed Time). MDT means that my district gets together and we do whatever we want; discuss principles, teaching techniques, roll play, anything. Then a teacher comes and such. We get about 40-50 min. of scheduled gym time each day which is nice and much needed. We met our branch presidency tonight and they're great! Also, our zone leaders are just missionaries and they go to their fields on Mon. I'm older than both. Elder Blake is 20, if you're wondering.

     So to the good stuff. Tonight with our branch presidency, we established senior companions and a district leader. Yes...I'm the district leader and therefore senior companion. I have about 3/4 of a page w/all my responsibilities. I'm excited though! It'll be good experience. I also have to teach during Sunday for my district for the 3 Sundays that I'll be here.... this is crazy. Yesterday I realized that this is real, and tonight (13th) it got even more real. Well I'm exhausted to say the least. Write you on Wednesday! (That is my P-day).  Keep up with that blog mom! and Facebook! Give Max my love. I'm doing great. This is where the Lord wants me, and this is where I want to be. My testimony has already grown so much. I love it here.

Love,
Elder Edwards"

No comments:

Post a Comment